Duty Free and Tax Free
If you are flying within the European Union you are entitled to Tax Free prices on fragrances, cosmetics and skincare; photographic and electrical goods; fashion and accessories; gifts, jewellery and souvenirs. There are no longer any allowance restrictions on these Tax Free items.
Duty Free Allowance / Tax Free Allowance
When travelling from the EU to the UK you do not have to pay any tax or duty on goods you have bought in another EU country as long as tax was included in the price when you purchased the items, the items are for your own use, and have been transported to the UK by you. This includes gifts, but does not include any item that is intended to be used as payment or to be resold.
If you bring back large quantities of goods, a Customs Officer is more likely to ask questions, especially if you appear at the airport with more than:
- 800 cigarettes, or 400 cigarillos, or 200 cigars, or 1 kg of smoking tobacco
- 110 litres of beer
- 10 litres of spirits
- 90 litres of wine
- 20 litres of fortified wine e.g. port or sherry
When travelling from outside the EU to the UK you are allowed to bring in the following, provided you bring in the items yourself and do not intend to sell them.
- 200 cigarettes, or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars, or 250g of tobacco
- 4 litres of still table wine
- 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs
- 16 litres of beer
- up to £390 worth of all other goods including gifts, perfume and souvenirs (£270 if arriving by private plane or private boat)
Duty Free at Glasgow Airport
World Duty Free have a large store in the departures lounge at Glasgow Airport, open from 04:00 until the last departing flight.
You also have the option of using the Shop & Collect service - do your shopping at the airport like normal, but your purchases stay at the airport whilst you jet off for your holiday! This service is available if you are flying within the EU or the UK, and you can collect your goods when you return to the airport from either Luggage-Point between the hours of 9am and 8pm, or outside of these hours from the 24-hour Tesco near the car rental desks.